Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kinjarling Walk Trails

I'm not in Albany, but I can't stop thinking about getting back and how great practicing there as an embedded landscape architect will be. My latest excitement came when Sarah Toa told me there are moves afoot to establish Kinjarling walking/story trails around Albany. I think "through" Albany. Lines that cut across York street, through the middle of Woollies, lines that walk you next to the war memorial on Mt Clarence...
How to show these on the ground? A bit of dirt where you least expect it, a section cut through the asphalt, a tiled pattern meandering past the deli counter that reminds you of a songline that still exists, and will still exist long after honey ham is no longer sold there.

Connect this image with parks and gardens breaking their boundaries and getting smeared across streets and through corners of buildings.

Maybe a paving type like this


in a 20m wide strip across York street, just at the cross walk:



Alison Hartman Gardens breaking free from her confining edge.

2 comments:

  1. Exciting times indeed. I really hope the Indigenous community gets excited about these opportunities as well.

    ReplyDelete